Injections block certain chemical signals coming from the nerves. Mostly, these are signals prompting muscles contractions and the injections are used to temporarily relax the facial muscles that underlie and cause wrinkles, such as:
- Frown lines between the eyebrows
- Crow’s-feet, the lines that fan out from the corners of the eyes
- Forehead furrows, the horizontal lines that form when you raise your eyebrows
- Lower face and neck (Nefertiti); the results usually last till 6 weeks only
In addition to these cosmetic procedures, which simply improve your appearance, injections are being used to treat conditions that affect the way your body functions. Examples include:
- Hyperhidrosis. In this condition, excessive sweating occurs even when the temperature is not hot and you are not exercising. In some cases, the sweat literally drips off the hands of the patient.
- Chronic migraine. If you experience migraines more than 15 days a month, injections may help reduce the headaches frequency.